I know my own clients are often asking questions like, “Should I do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) or LISS (Low Intensity Steady State) cardio?”, “Should I do cardio fasted or after strength training?”, “Do I need to do cardio at all?”
It all comes down to your goals; what is your exercise achieving for you?
I have and always will continue to program cardiovascular training in to my Online and Face to Face clients programs.
My belief is there are many health benefits that come from cardiovascular exercise, including –
- Reduction in body fat,
- Reduction in blood pressure,
- Reduction in bad cholesterol,
- Increase in insulin sensitivity,
- Improved oxygen supply around the body, and much more.
So being the “holistically” rounded coach that I am, I find it very hard within me to ever tell anyone – NO CARDIO.
My philosophy is :
- Get your strength training sorted to build muscle, speed up your metabolism and to create that toned and fit body you want.
- Eat a balanced and whole foods diet to nourish your body and perform at its optimum level.
- Spend time learning to control your mind, stretch your body and be centred. Your body will thank you in the long run!
- And, throw in cardio training to get sweaty, have fun and assist in speeding up the fat loss and revealing that strong, lean and confident body of yours!
Or is it?
Why not both!
LISS – Low Intensity Steady State Cardio: Exercise done at low-moderate intensity work load for 30+ minutes such as a long run, or machine training for an extended time.
HIIT – High Intensity Interval Training: Exercise which consists of a high intensity interval e.g 60seconds sprint max capacity, followed by an interval e.g 30seconds recovery pace.
HIIT : Burns more fat even after you stop training, more time efficient.
LISS : Increases endurance fitness, can create a good calorie deficit over long periods,
HIIT : More challenging physically and mentally for most people.
LISS: Boring for some people, and more time consuming, extended
So what do I recommend?
I want to keep this simple for you as there is so much information out “there” these days.
Know your goal. Then create (or ask your trainer ) for a plan you love that will help you reach your goals and fit in with your lifestyle. At the end of the day CONSISTENCY and ACTION will get you to your goals no matter what!
Aim for :
- 20-40 minutes LISS cardio 1-2 times per week (fasted first thing in the morning),
- 10-15 minutes HIIT cardio 1-2 times per week (straight after strength training),
- 3-4 strength sessions per week (can be body weight or weighted).
- And of course stretch!! Everyday ideally!
I hope this gives you a little more insight in to which cardio protocols to use to help you live your best life!
If you are looking for a little EXERCISE ACTION to get you moving this week check out my HIIT circuit video under VIDEOS over on Facebook, I created it just for you!
AFFIRMATION OF THE WEEK:
“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall in to place!”
Keep Smiling Test First Name .
Life reflects you.
In Health & Happiness,